Imagine visiting a place where you could fall on the ground and make snow angels, create massive snow fortress filled with numerous snow cannon balls to throw at each other or, create a large snowman with a carrot nose. Do not immediately shift your imagination to some western areas of the world during winter.
If you dare to enjoy the snowflakes of the winter, you can stick with India too. There are numerous winter paradises, thanks to the mighty Himalayas of the North. Here are the top snowfall destinations to cover in India
Auli of Uttarakhand is the ultimate destination for anyone looking for skiing vacation. It is a winter paradise filled with beautiful valleys, white forests, lofty peaks and much more. Located 2500m above sea level, this is a very famous tourist destination for snow lovers and pilgrims.
Top activities to enjoy in Auli
- Auli is the right place for novice and professional skiing. Top places to enjoy skiing are Kamet, Nanda Devi peak, Dronagiri peak and others. If skiing is the main element of your vacation, read to know more: Where to Go In India If You Want Skiing Attractions
- Enjoy snow trekking from Auli to Gorson or choose the Tali Kuari pass. If you are up for some long distance trekking, choose Khulara Tapovan route, which is 12 km long.
- You don’t have to trek or ski to enjoy a panoramic view of the mountains. Choose cable cars, ski lifts or chair lifts to enjoy the view.
- If you are up for the coldest evening of the vacation, try camping at designated camp sites.
How to visit Auli from Delhi?
From Delhi, you can find domestic flights to Jolly Grand Airport of Dehradun. It is around 270 km away from Auli. You can also reach Dehradun railway station from Delhi. The railway station is 250 km away from Auli. From there, you need to choose any of the available road transportation to reach the hill station.
Pahalgam, Jammu & Kashmir
Top activities to enjoy in Pahalgam
- You can find many trekking routes along Betaab valley and Lidder Valley.
- Spot numerous glaciers along the route.
- Mountaineering is an important avid sport of the region, which should be tried only by expert climbers.
- Visit Sheikhpora to enjoy picnic spots and find a few architectural beauties.
- You can spot a few rare animals in the forest regions. If you visit during late winter, you can spot griffon vulture, blue rock pigeon snow cock and others.
- Visit Aru village to enjoy the local culture of the land. In addition, it is an important honeymoon destination.
- Visit Sinthan Top for enjoying skiing.
How to visit Pahalgam from Delhi?
Pahalgam is located 801 km away from Delhi. The fastest way to reach Pahalgam from Delhi is by taking a flight from Delhi to Srinagar of Kashmir. From Srinagar, you can find taxis to Pahalgam. If you are looking for cheapest way to travel, choose train from Delhi to Pahalgam. From the railway station, hire taxis to reach the hill station.
Gulmarg is the capital for snow vacation. The snowy peaks and the conifer forest adds a Christmas look to the place, throughout the winter. The winter is not just plain white. You can find colorful Kashmiri dishes on the table and colorful cultural activities. It is a top skiing destination of India and that is not the only advantage of snow. Thanks to the snow, Gulmarg is tagged as the heartland of winter sports of India. It is also the continent’s seventh top ski destination.
Top activities to enjoy in Gulmarg
- Top snow activities to enjoy are snowboarding, skiing, tobogganing and others.
- Try the Gondola life to have a panoramic view of the snowy peaks and valleys.
- Visit the Victorian RC St. Mary’s Church.
- Visit in March to enjoy the Gulmarg winter festival.
- Enjoy camping and trekking along Nagin Valley.
How to visit Gulmarg from Delhi?
From Delhi, you can find flights to Srinagar, which is 56 km away from Gulmarg. From Srinagar, you can find buses, taxis and other road transportation’s to Gulmarg. You can also find trains from Delhi to Jammu, which is 290 km away from Gulmarg. From Jammu, you can find cabs and other toad transportation’s to reach Gulmarg.
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Of all the hill stations of Himalayan region, the most commercialized and iconic attraction is Manali. The rivers, meadows, snow slopes and lush snowfall, make the place more interesting. Manali is located around 2050 m above sea level. This small hill town is the gateway to Lahaul and Spiti regions. Do you want to cover more destinations in Himachal Pradesh?
Top activities to enjoy in Manali
- You can find many mountain routes during summer and winter to enjoy trekking, hiking, mountaineering and others.
- Paragliding is very common. Choose to visit during early winter to enjoy this activity. Heavy rainfall can cause temporary ban of paragliding, hand gliding and other activities.
- Visit religious sites located on main circuits of trekking. The best of all is Hidimba Devi temple.
- Visit the Rohtang Pass by early winter to enjoy mountain biking
- Bhrigu Lake will be frozen during winter, go for a trekking on the river or along the river.
If an activity or region is banned due to bad weather or heavy snowfall, it is best to obey the rules. The snow in Himachal region can be both beautiful and dangerous. Every year, many people get stuck in snow, during heavy snowfall.
Must read: Kayaking Security – Preventing Kayak Theft
How to visit Manali from Delhi?
You can find frequent flights from Delhi airport to Bhuntar airport. Bhuntar is located around 50 km away from Manali. From Bhuntar, you can find many road transportation to reach Manali. Manali can also be reached via road transportation from Delhi. If you choose buses or cabs, you would reach Manali via Ambala and Chandigarh. From Delhi, it is 570 km and you can find overnight buses from the bus terminals of Delhi. The closest railroad is located in Una, which is 250 km away. The Kalka Shimla route is a beautiful rail route to cover. However, it is better to stick with road or air transportation.
This Uttarakhand destination is an important hill station, which is a vacation spot since British rule. The region gets its name from Nainital Lake and Naina Devi Temple. Starting from cable car to building snowman, this region provides all cliche snow activities. This weekend getaway from Delhi is chosen by locals to enjoy snow activities.
Top activities to enjoy in Nainital
- You can find various viewpoints to get a great view of the snowy regions.
- Visit pilgrimage sites to enjoy a beautiful scenic time.
- Visit Snow View Point to enjoy cable car ride.
- Visit regions around Naina Lake to enjoy snow fall and building snowmen.
- If you visit during December, you can take part in Nainital winter carnival.
How to visit Nainital from Delhi?
Nainital is just 7 hours away from Delhi. It would be easier to reach the hill station via road. You can find numerous buses, which run between the two regions, every day. The nearest railway station is located in Kathgodham hill, which is 34 km away from Nainital. You can find frequent trains from Delhi to Kathgodham. From Kathgodham, choose buses or cabs to reach Nainital. You can also find direct cabs from Delhi to Nainital.